Jd512k

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Pro & Binanchi Campione del Mondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fear

Originally Posted by einstruzende
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this? I did have one cycling acquaintance die on the road back in 2009, I think that has something to do with it. He seemed invincible.
Yes, I do as well. Your concern is real and quite deserved. I have the same fear/anxiety. It's dangerous out there, no doubt about that, but I am reminded of a saying which I pretty much live by these days:

"A little fear keeps us alive... too much fear keeps us from living." ~ Author Unknown

I absolutely despise riding in/around traffic, but I do not let it keep me from riding. Fortunately my hometown has numerous areas to ride with little to no motorized traffic. However, those rides require packing the bike up and driving to get to those areas, so I find myself mustering the courage to get through the traffic on heavily traveled roadways. I refuse to allow fear from keeping me from doing the things I enjoy. It's interesting to note that when I was younger, I did not have reservations/fears or anxiety over these types of situations...

Remember, a little fear is a good thing... too much fear is paralyzing.

Ride Safe!

~Jon

Last edited by Jd512k; 09-18-19 at 03:59 PM. Reason: type