Old 03-30-17, 12:45 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67
The ride I did 51 miles before, I started out on avg 12 mph. On the way back, I fall down to 8 mph. The last 20 miles was really hard. I have no energy left and really struggle. I didnt eat anything except during lunch and drink water.

This time I will bring sweet potatoes, dry dates and some nuts. Potassium will help with muscle cramp and carb for quick energy and drink water.

I will also eat more cereals, a banana, 2 eggs and milk before I cycle.

Whats a good lunch to eat while doing 60 miles? Hamburger?
Try bringing a banana or two along with you and munch on those from time to time. I would also recommend a liquid source of carbs to get some variety in there. 50 miles and beyond was tricky until I nailed down some on-bike nutrition. There are so many threads on here addressing this, so, you should be able to find some sage advice. I'm not sure about total number of calories to consume/hour on bike, but, your body won't be able to absorb more than about 50g of carbs/hour. Start there and do some experimenting.

I don't eat meat during a ride. Lots of bananas, nuts, fig bars, and sugary drinks; I'm basically snacking all day until I finish and can get a recovery meal.

What are you eating after your rides? The general rule here is a 4:1 ratio of carbs to proteins. Start with something smaller and easier to digest like a parfait or chocolate milk. The key here is to replace some of what you've lost throughout the day. I'll shower after that and get my toys cleaned up and put away, and then onto the more substantial meal. Lately I've been doing a lot of biryani with a samosa. Chicken fajitas are nice for me, too. This is where your hamburger would fit in, just try to get some good carbs on the side.

Again, it's something you'll have to play with to find something that suits your needs.