Old 07-22-19, 06:47 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
those bolts are crap ! the bolt goes into shear when you tighten it (as the seat lug closes, there' a bending force put on it) and it's just a pot metal part.

here's what you might do - KEEP the "nut" side of the seat binder bolt. Find an M4 or M5 bolt, stainless steel, allen head in your junk box (you DO have a junk box right?) and use that as the "bolt". MUCH stronger. You may have to come up with a washer or spacer to make it work. On one bike I turned the bolt head down slightly so it would fit in the frame recess.

If the post fits properly you should not have to tighten the bolt that tight. 5 or 600 foot pounds should be sufficient

Seriously if 72 in/lb (6 ft/lb) is not sufficient then you might consider adding so punch marks or knurling the seat post below the insertion line to give some increased "bite". I have the excellent Stein knurling tool and do this on most bikes after I haver the saddle height finalized.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Likes For mpetry912: