Old 07-17-19, 06:42 PM
cycling2012

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
To shorten a Campy chain, it's apparently OK to push out the old joining pin and put in a new one, but a new joining pin is never supposed to be installed on any other pair of outer plates. Those joining pins are pricey. I've always used a quick link, either the no-tools Wipperman, or a KMC. Then you can remove the outer plates with the joining pin and eliminate it.

The joining pin can be identified on the non-drive side of the chain. The end of the pin has a sharp indentation, where the tool peened the end of the pin.

I lot of people never use the Campy joining pin and use a quick link from the start. Then you don't need a special chain tool.
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You still need a chain tool (of some sort) to cut the new chain to size.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Actually, you shorten the chain from the end that finishes with an inner link so that the end finishes again with an inner link. The chain then has the other end with unused outer plates through which you push the joining pin
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
Yes, but any chain tool will do. I ride with a Park CT-6.3 and a spare quick-link in my bag. Good enough to fix the chain on the side of the road and get home. I've only ever had to do it once, and that was with an 8-speed chain, but that makes the difference between getting home under your own power vs calling Uber.
so will local bike shop do it for me ? I ask two lbs,they don't have ut-cn300,they usally install shimano groupsets.
so will they have a solution for me?
the campy dealer told me that super record 12 speed chain won't be used quick link,is that right?
will sr 12s chain has a new joint pin in the package or I need buy a new joint pin ?