francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Zombie Thread.... resurrect!!

(note all replies prior are from '07)

Bumping this one to consolidate info, I know there's this other thread too and this one and of course this one then this one.

I'm apparently on a string of bizarre finds recently, and cool people selling them. I bumped into someone this week who listed a garage sale with the words "vintage Peugeot and Raleigh bike". No pics, so I emailed to ask for more info and, if nothing else, I can give an idea of valuation. Replies back with what was clearly a mid-80s Tourmalet with the stock tires still on it (not in the best shape) and what I thought was a Technium until I showed it to a friend who's better with the brand.

Anyway, it ended up being one of these Raleigh SP 1000 bikes and it was Titanium on the TT not Technium. I wouldn't have thought to ask anyone but in the blur of the pics, I noticed the Campy label on the rim, the Mavic starfish and RD and was totally confused. Figured it could be worth checking out. We emailed a bit and I tossed out a number for both bikes, he came back to me and it was on.

Got it home, tuned it up a bit and went for a spin, I actually really enjoyed it. Responsive, fits like a 59-60 CTT despite the actual size. It's springy when cranking hard but I don't think the bike weighs more than 15-16lbs tops so it didn't feel like I needed to really punch it to go anywhere. Seat weighs 7oz and is actually moderately comfortable. Total mish-mash of parts though, mix of stock and weight weenie.

Not many pics on the internet of these, so I'm posting my find for future hunters. The seller mentioned this thread when we met up to swap goods.

Full album here: Raleigh SP 1000 - Album on Imgur

Last edited by francophile; 06-21-17 at 09:39 PM.