commute
Frequency:
5 days/week (whenever possible)
Distance:
about 10.5 miles (each way)
Conditions:
  • 80% subdivision roads - very little traffic, speed limit 25 mph
  • 10% two-lane, high use roads w/ bike lane, speed limit 45-55 mph
  • 10% separate bike path - very low use.
  • This is the edge of the Sierra foothills, so fairly hilly.
How I ride:
  • Stop signs - if 'all way' stop, and I can see that there is no traffic, I'll just blow thru (but at a 'reasonable' speed). Otherwise I'll do a 'rolling stop', or if needed a full stop.
  • Signals - my route only has two signals, and I have to turn at both. To make a left turn I move over into the left turn lane. Most of the time i can trigger the sensor and everything is good, occasionaly it just won't trip... when that happens I wait till I am sure it's safe and then go. For right turn, I slow down enough to make sure I can make the turn without going wide but just keep going.
  • In general - I mostly stay to the right and in the bike lane (where there is one)... the roads are in good shape as far as potholes and such and there is very seldom anyone parked in the bike lanes. There is occasional road debris to get around, particualrly broken glass.
How its working out:
In general I haven't had much in the way of problems. A few cars that have gone by closer than I would like, and one guy in a deisel pickup who intentionally tried to smog me, but really nothing much to complain about.

Bike is a Trek FX 7.5

Last edited by leadchucker; 07-30-08 at 03:38 PM.