Old 10-11-17, 06:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
I think for 500m it's splitting hairs, and as Brawlo mentioned it is only worth considering if you are very proficient at transitioning... and, it should go without saying, very comfortable putting such high power (not 2 minute power) in aero position. I had very little bike time this year, and zero time in aero bars, so the choice was easy. Still, my chief nagger commented on the video:
I do watch it and think: "That's a guy who should be in aero-bars for that event"
Hahaha

I think one issue that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to hold the line in aerobars vs drop bars.

Every mm above the black line has one traveling further than 500M. If you hold your line better than the next rider, your time is marked for a shorter distance than that rider.

In an event that is won and lost by tenths or hundredths of a second, those wobbles up to and over the red line hurt a lot.

If someone has the math on it, please share. I'll see if I can calculate how much those wobbles hurt in terms of distance and/or time.