Old 04-23-13, 11:53 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were buying one new stove for summer touring it would probably be the Primus Gravity II Multifuel.

No stove or stove type is perfectly safe; but some are safer than others, and some have fewer prohibitions.

The canister types -- along with the multifuel-plus-canister types, which are more versatile, especially when canisters are hard to find -- are also worth a look, if you are among those who don't mind using canisters.

The MSR WhisperLite Universal is one. Simmer control is not as good as it could be, but there are some tricks that enable simmering.

I've used a variety of multifuel stoves, and prefer the quieter ones. Otherwise, the Primus OmniFuel Titanium would probably be at the top of my list (apart from custom multifuel stoves).

There are reviews of these stoves at www.amazon.com , www.rei.com , and elsewhere. (I would provide some more specific links for you, but for the device I'm on at this moment.)

For a canister-only stove, you might check out the SOTO Outdoors OD-1R Microregulator stove which seems to perform better at low simmers and in colder temperatures than most canister stoves.

The SOTO Muka is another interesting stove with some advanced engineering. It is unusual among liquid gas stoves in allowing you to light the stove directly without priming (though the initial flame is still yellow until it warms up). However, it requires extra pumping and periodic replacement of proprietary fuel tubing.

I like the easy field maintainability, along with the parts availability, if needed, of the MSR stoves. Plus I know them inside out, and understand what to do when or if needed. They have served well as incredible workhorses for me.

I usually use the WhisperLite International and the Dragonfly with gasoline, which works beautifully in these stoves. White gas is preferred by some, and burns a bit more cleanly. You just have to use a little pick (or a piece of wire from steel belted radials) to clear the jet maybe once a month or so with daily usage. It's about as hard as flossing your teeth -- no big deal once you've learned the simple technique. (Some models have a built-in shaker needle, but this may compromise the performance a bit, and some people will remove or replace it.)

Even though I don't use canisters any longer (for a variety of reasons), from a strictly-safety point of view, they probably have the fewest potential issues. The ones that allow you to separate the canister from the burner are probably the safest, and they allow the safe use of a good windscreen (unlike the burner-atop-canister designs which can overheat the canisters when used with a full windscreen). They are not without potential issues, while still probably having the fewest.

With proper care, the multifuel stoves are also fine; but they do seem to require some additional appropriate diligence and care.

Last edited by Niles H.; 04-23-13 at 12:29 PM.