Old 04-24-13, 09:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Safety is largely a function of the operator not so much the stove.

A few but not all of the stoves I have used over the years either backpacking, canoeing, or bike touring are:
  1. Svea 123 - A classic. Works well and can burn white gas or reportedly gasoline. Some folks fuss about the "roar", that I find to be a pleasant and comforting sputter. Too heavy to suit me these days though.
  2. Pocket Rocket (or MSR's newer lighter model) - Great little stoves. I might take it for some trips if I know fuel will be available. If I have to go over a week between restocking on fuel I will take this rather than my alcohol stove, but that doesn't generally happen on my bike tours. I might also take this one if there is a fire ban that allows it and doesn't allow my pop can stove.
  3. Pepsi Can Stove - My go to stove. A much lighter choice until I start needing to carry over a weeks worth of fuel at a time.

I own a bunch of other stoves but they are all as heavy or heavier than the SVEA and have thus been retired except maybe for car camping or possibly canoe camping.