View Single Post
Old 01-14-16, 11:36 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what i wrote for someone else who asked for a guide for winter cycling:

for winter cycling (commuting in AM and PM, so usually colder than daytime temps):
depending on whether it's 10-20F, 20-32F, or 32-40F i usually use some combination of the following

tops
- a wool base layer - (top) i.e. smartwool from REI
- a thin fitted fleece or similar midlayer (top) -> if 32-40+, leave this off and just use rain/wind shell if there's rain or wind.
- a rain/wind shell (top) -> leave this off in over freezing temps (32-40+) if no rain or wind.

bottoms
- cycling short (maybe w/chamois depending on your husband) + fleece tight (varying in lightweight, midweight, and heavyweight).
- or use a thermal cycling tight (again, maybe with chamois), rated for temps below freezing.

basically you want something that will keep you dry but also warm: wool wool wool. however washing and drying wool is tricky so best to learn if you do not otherwise it's very easy to ruin wool in the wash. (and never put wool in the dryer!)

***also do not forget the most important parts to cover when winter cycling:
-hands - use wool or silk liners inside hardware or work gloves
-face - use a balaclava in less than freezing temps. alternative: skullcap liner plus fleece skull cap and wool or fleece neck gaiters work fine too.
-feet - 1-3 pairs of wool socks depending on the temps & wind, rain/wind proof cycling shoes.

getting appropriate layering for the extremities is by far more important than what you wear on your body. the body will generate enough heat to keep itself warm. however in winter conditions, your face hands and feet are the most vulnerable and layers will be essential for the cold.