Old 02-16-11, 01:44 AM
gmacmt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walks on two wheels, thanks man. Solid info.

Nun, I lived out of a blackdiamond lightsabre bivy (very much like the nemo except lighter and with poles) for some time. I was fine in it. If I was any bigger than I am (5'9", 140#) I would be too big. I have JUST enough room to read inside. But you are absolutely right, it is not for everybody.

LeeG, I had something called exercise induced compartment syndrome. At the time I didnt know how it would affect my cycling, and thought I was going to have to get surgery. I have since discovered some alternative therapy, and bicycling is no problem. I have yet to tour on it, but I have ridden quite a few miles with no adverse effects.

Bekologist, I have actually done a bit of this before, and have a bike that fits panniers. You can see it in this thread actually. Even my fixed gear will take panniers. If you read through the thread you will see that. The reason for my purchasing new gear is because I finally have enough money saved up to purchase nice equipment. Previously I was utilizing used, heavy, and borrowed.

And to everyone concerned, there will be brakes on this bicycle. I am not entirely stupid... I think. I did sell my crosscheck frame to buy this cinelli, so that is evidence against my own intelligence.

To those of you helping, I appreciate the advice. This trip is going to be half sufferfest and half adventure. But where is the fun in riding standard roads on a bike like a surly long haul trucker with all the gear you ever need? That sounds boring, and that is not why I am riding my bike.

Regarding my camera, the more I think about it, the more I feel I should be carrying my old smaller SLR. But that is a decision I can make later.

As an anecdote, on my west coast tour I met a lot of people as I was riding north instead of south. One of the people I met was carrying four panniers and a bob trailer. In that trailer he had two fifths of whiskey, a full size (two burner) coleman camp stove and a BOX of condoms. Like more than forty, and for no real reason as he was traveling mostly alone. Not only that, but he was passing gas stations and stores to buy these items every day on his trip. Maybe seeing his misery on the hillclimbs is what makes me subconsciously turn into a weight weenie. And knowing that I am going to be traveling through an area filled with stores, I can always change my mind if something really doesn't work. If I was riding through Iran on the other hand, things may be different.

Last edited by gmacmt; 02-16-11 at 01:54 AM.