Old 02-16-11, 08:57 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmacmt
Positron, the weight I listed, ~15lbs, was without including the weight of the bags. That is just the stuff that will go in them.
The mamiya is going to make it tricky. That is not calculated into my overall weight, so you are right, will likely be around 20 w/ lens and film.
I have a spreadsheet that I have been using to play around with various pack weights for a CC trip (no camp gear).
The lightest I can get so far for my gear (not including rack/bags) is about 9.5 lbs. No rain gear, no medium format camera, but probably a little more off the bike clothing/shoes, etc.

My bag/rack weight is about 3.7 lbs. A titanium rack would be a bit lighter at a lot more expense.

I point this out for a couple reasons. One is that the bag and rack is a weight hit. The only way around it that I can see is to forego panniers and use stuff sacks. Not sure how durable or user-friendly that would be on a long trip. Two is that your overall goal of 20 lbs for all your gear seems reasonable if you do everything you can to stay light.

Good luck with your trip. Glad I'm not riding your bike, though!