AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by busted knuckles
Good for you, using recycled spokes.
Ha ha ha! True! They've been pulled out of the trash, right?

So while waiting for the miracle to happen (the suspense is killing me...) I wrapped the handlebars with black cork tape. If the handlebars work out I might treat them with Brooks leather tape later on. But for now this will do.

The white "thingy" is AirZound bracket

I've also installed the shifters and pulled all the cables. I used Gore Ride-On sealed cables for both brakes and derailleurs. I've never used these before, we'll see.

Click here for a large image

The Ortlieb bag is mounted to a Thorn Accessory Bracket, a very handy little gadget holder that mounts on the steerer tube. The simplicity and effectiveness of the Ortlieb mounting mechanism is truly mind-blowing. No more sagging handlebar bag! When I took the bag out I though at first that half of the mounting bracket was missing. Then I looked at the instruction and "no way!". But it works amazingly well.

Keep in mind that the steerer tube is still uncut. Most likely I'll cut it a little bit, but I need to ride and fit the bike first.

The reason I went with the Thorn accessory bar is that I wanted more free space on the handlebar itself. With a handlebar bag mounted on the... eh... handlebar directly the top bar of the handlebar was useless, even a GPS mount wouldn't fit properly, the bag was resting against the bar effectively preventing me from mounting anything up there. Now I have plenty of space for the GPS and it won't conflict with the bag, plus I have space for another gadget or two and a couple of small gadgets will also fit lower on the Thorn bar.

The lights will be mounted on the fork as seen a few posts before.

I had to put the XTR RD back. My commuter needed a new RD, so the used Deore went to my commuter.

Gore cabling. On the surface looks like any other cable but it has a separate lining that is supposed to help seal the cable inside and prevent dust and water from getting inside.