View Single Post
Old 02-26-11, 07:48 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Local bike shops in NYC were "the initiative for me learn how to do my own wrenching" too. Had issues with shifting, the shop mechanic told me "you're not supposed to shift when going uphill!" That's the one that stuck in my mind, but there were other situations too that made it clear that the people in the shop hardly rode bikes.

Interestingly though, doing my own wrenching got me more into bikes more. One huge thing for me is that I can build and repair the bikes, I feel more independent and secure. When I went on my first tour, mechanical problems were the last things on my mind.

Over the last year I have accumulated most needed tools that short of welding my own frame I can do anything with my bikes. Oh, and I don't like building wheels, or I would have built those myself.

I guess I should be grateful for those s****y bike shops after all

The one that made those wheels has really good mechanics, they don't bull**** too much but as you know by now, they have some other issues going on. But I want to keep my relationship in good standing, they are pretty good at fixing wheels, so I might need them for that.

Last edited by AdamDZ; 02-26-11 at 08:00 PM.