Old 09-11-13, 06:48 AM
Pattobin

Bikes: Trek 1.5C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For "Darned Hearts" - How much cycling is too much ??

Hi,

This post is generally addressed to my fellow cyclists who have experienced heart conditions. Notwithstanding, anyone's advice and insight is welcome.

I'm 50, and have undergone a quadruple bypass surgery in February this year. I have taken up cycling since April following the operation. Over the last few months I've cycled regularly 3-4 times a week. I finally built up to my longest ride on Sunday last, and did 120 km in 8 hours interspersed with halts. I was tired, but ready to ride 24 hours later. No adverse effects whatsoever.

My Cardiologist has now said I am doing too much and I should stick to not more than 2 hours cycling a day, on any day. I am most disappointed and quite put out. I was hoping to go on to doing the 200km Brevet in Oct.

I do not intend to disagree with medical advice which I know is well meant, but need to get some perspective from those who have been in my situation.

I have been through sections of the 50+ Forum and have found members who have achieved a lot in terms of fitness goals and miles on the bike at very senior ages.

I wish to know if
(a) I am doing too much too soon ?
(b) Has anyone felt held back despite personally knowing they could do more ?
(c) How did you progress after the operation ?

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by Pattobin; 09-11-13 at 06:52 AM. Reason: correction to text.