Old 01-27-16, 07:06 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
The bike path system looks quite impressive! I think that Korean food would be great for bike tourists esp with kimchee, an original superfood.
The food here is quite cheap as well, so with minimal Korean (easily gleaned from the Internet and guide books) any cyclist could easily combine credit card touring (eating) with camping. Restaurants in Korea are often open much later than in other countries, but it's not always the way in smaller towns and on public holidays. Still, convenience stores are always open and always have enough food available for a make-shift meal, including the ubiquitous cup ramen. I sometimes measure rides by the amount of large shin raman cups I am likely to consume, as it's the perfect food for cycling in Korea. The salty broth keeps cramps at bay and the carbohydrate rich noodles keep you fueled for riding all day. There's also a salty sports drink full of electrolytes called "Pocari Sweat," which helps with maintaining your electrolyte levels.

There are a range of cheap accommodation options, though, not just camping, many of them cyclist-friendly, and at least one place will even come to the main bike path (Seoul-Busan route) with a small truck, collect bikes and riders and take them to a cheap B&B (Sort of!) style place called a pension (borrowed from the French for some reason) with food (often delicious grilled pork for wrapping in lettuce called "Sam Gyeop Sal") available at reasonable prices.