View Single Post
Old 04-16-17, 05:52 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
on unpaved rail trails I discovered the same things. now I always bring 2 water bottles & a sandwich for the halfway turnaround. last weekend also had some dried fruit. a very straight trail is a bit of a mental challenge. more of a focus on performance, you think? fast gravel is fun, but after two hours, I'm good. if the terrain changes & is a little challenging then it keeps my interest longer but of course the speed goes down. longest I've been away from my car was 4 hours. seemed OK in the fall but not sure 2 bottles would be enough for that long in the summer
I've done imperial centuries on the roadie at about 6 hours without busting balls. This August I'm booked for Gravel Worlds (150mi of non-pavement, but with nutrition stops etc.)....so I have some training to do, although I'm still probably going to get knackered .

Tour de Nebraska this summer allegedly has a gravel-route planned for all 5 days for the first time this year, each day being between 40-80mi I'd guess.