View Single Post
Old 12-18-18, 01:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
That helmet saved my life at a time when there was perhaps one or two other helmets that could have. (I heard reports that Bailen was a good helmet. I never saw one.)

That said, I had real brain damage from being slammed back. I would have fared a lot better in a modern helmet that wold have been destroyed by the impact. (My Biker was nearly untouched; just a patch of road rash and the foam was compacted perhaps halfway immediately under the road rash.

The one good thing about those helmets that I wish was still around - the simple two D-rings for the chin strap. So easy to adjust for both different head gear and to accommodate the reality that what is comfortably snug changes as (at least) I do as I ride. Put it on, snug it up and a few miles later, give it another tug. The helmets I've ridden the past couple of decades have adjusts I have to stop and take the helmet off the do. They slip. I end up taking a sewing awl and making the best adjustment permanent, but it is a compromise between no hat and my winter hat so I don't need tools to go between the two. Micky Mouse. I love the rapidly adjustable head bands of the modern helmets but that simple D-ring strap was simply better than what's out there now if you ride in varying weather.

Outside that one gripe, modern helmets are radically better than that old Biker - for protection and comfort. So I would never ride my old one (if I still had it) but I will be eternally grateful for it.

Ben