Old 01-01-19, 04:25 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
It seems the reason all the big car companies jumped into the autonomous car game was to slow its progress.
OK I came by the gumption to read your rather long and boring article and if anything it supports my argument that the car companies have sobered up about how hard it will REALLY be to produce autonomous vehicles. Nothing in the article supports the idea that they're backing off to intentionally slow progress. What it basically says is that they have not given up because the profit potential is huge but they're also not moving quickly because the problem is very difficult and will take years to solve.

For example this quote sounds kind of like what I've been claiming today...

As with the dot-com bust or other early hiccups for emerging technologies, the outstanding challenges aren’t going to keep driverless cars off the roads forever. The profit potential is too great and the existential threat too serious for carmakers and tech companies to give up. Yet the present “trough of disillusionment” should prompt the industry to take a more realistic look at just how far off the driverless future may be, says Mike Ramsey, an automotive consultant with researcher Gartner Inc. “People have had this really unrealistic view of how fast this really groundbreaking technology can be implemented,” he says. “It’s going to be painfully slow.”
That nor anything else in the article implies any intent to slow progress because their interest in driverless is not genuine as you imply. In fact it basically says car companies want driverless BAD but they're starting to realize that the "final mile" to truly autonomous is going to be a difficult and time consuming goal with implementation nor cost recovery and profits anywhere in the near future.

If you think this article or ANYTHING AT ALL ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET supports your claim then quote something instead of just paste a URL with rambling discussion that has nothing to do with your statements.