View Single Post
Old 04-08-19, 02:24 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
When I visited the doctor they had a healthy food display where you would guess which food had the most sodium per serving and V8 was at the top. The V8 can be good for you (I used to drink one every day) but it has a lot of salt. Almost half by some daily requirement scales. There is a low sodium alternative however, but I've never tried it. Well, yes and no. Oats are a good healthy food choice but we're not horses so we can't digest it like they can. I see you suggest letting them slow cook overnight so that likely makes them more digestible.

I always loved oat as a kid but the kids nowadays don't eat oats. At least not the old fashioned roll oats. They do eat the instant packets that are half ruined by all that sugar.

Full disclosure: sugar is my weakness -- I lover fruit juices. But I've manage to reduce my intake by 75% when I cut them from my diet. I still treat myself once a week to juice or coffee though. Always in moderation.
The low sodium V8 is just plain undrinkable, in my opinion. I buy the half gallon size and have six ounces in the morning. Because I am likely to either be on the treadmill or on the bikes the sodium is helpful.