View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 04:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I think the most important part is to ring or announce before making the pass which I'm sure you do. My local MUPS have a lot of foreigners (most speak at least a little English) but there's so many bikes everyone's used to "passing on the left", I don't really see folks freaking & jumping out of line. OTOH my local MUP has a narrow adjoining gravel section...one evening I was walking dog (with blinding sun ahead) a biker zoomed by shouting "on the left" & another biker zoomed onto the gravel hollering "on the right" at the same time, he nearly clobbered me & a woman ahead.

I guess the rude bikers don't read BF. The real bikers like actual (not pretend) racers, commuters & tourists are pretty polite. When I was 16 I was kinda rude, passing 3-wide on the (then) narrower paths. One time I zoomed by a family w/little kids...Dad objected & I realized I wasn't being very nice. But now I see riders of all ages that can't be bothered to slow down a bit to avoid the 3-wide pass, as if they're setting some new personal best time.
Just to be clear, I ride on a lot of paths, some very crowded. I ride pretty fast so I pass thousands of people a month. I could count on one hand the number of times people have been confused. It happens very rarely.