View Single Post
Old 09-21-09, 01:28 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spin4130
i usually find bikes at yardsales really cheap. say bout 5-30 bucks. i know what im looking for, and most people dont know what they are selling. the bikes i get usually need rubber, but otherwise are complete. i never sell parts out. i also look for bikes that are really neglected, but not abused. I bring them back to life. i havent gone in the hole on a single bike. made out well on most all of them. i dont calculate time spent, but i know i've gotten way quick at some of the things that might take a while at the LBS. say, for example, gruppos that are really really tarnished or even a bit rusted. i have a bench just for that stuff. ill disassemble the bike and use penetrating lube and degreasers with a wire brush or different grades of steel wool and BAM! they come back to life. grease em and reassemble. clean off the frame, maybe re-wrap the bar tape that they came with and wash the tape. build it back up and dial it in. the bikes look really clean and people notice. if u have a bike with chrome, clean it up with penatrating lube and fine steel wool, just try a spot first to make sure there isnt a clear coat that will get hazy if u take steel wool to it, and go easy as to not take off the plated finish itself. a workstand is a great investment for your time. when i clean up i have supplies organized so next time i can jump into the system ive created for workflow. i also do "flips" to trade and sometimes they end up being personal bikes. ill spend money on good neglected bikes that i know are obviously gonna clean up well and sell well. if its italian it sells quickly ive noticed. dont waste time with kids bikes or mountain bikes, as they are meant to be abused and wont be worth it. an old Schwinn World Sport, for example, can be found cheap in many conditions and are very straight forward to resurrect, they are typically reliable, and if the bike looks clean and its dialed than it wont be taking up ur space long. and biketiresdirect.com is a great source for rubber. buy tubes by the box. dont overhaul if you dont need to, but if things arent smooth than the overhaul and adjusting should be done. try to build a reputation of well working clean bikes. the locals here have recognized that i wont make a bike available if it isnt going to reinforce the reputation i have been building. i know that a lot of these bikes i wouldnt waste my time riding, but they are great for other riders getting into the game. collectibles are just that, and i dont collect, i ride. so i may spend more time on campy equipped italian steel knowing the bike should be presented in a sought after condition. i dont customize, or mix-match, or paint, or re chrome. thats up to the owner who doesnt intend to sell it. what i do doesnt take as long as one might think. you get better as u go along.

I think that for flipping, cleaning a bike well is almost as important as making sure everything is mechanically sound. When you are ready to post it on CL, you should also consider the marketing side. Take good creative photos with thought out backgrounds. Here are some flip photos I recently took.