View Single Post
Old 02-01-19, 02:29 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fuji had some of the best bang for the buck bikes in my opinion. The Jari was often mentioned as a very budget friendly gravel grinder.

However, I think we are living in a world that is transitioning to the big bike manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale) setting up more and more of their own dealerships with their own full product line offerings from bikes to clothing to components (excluding group sets). I see more of an automotive dealership system emerging. More and more bikes are requiring proprietary parts and this is a trend which I do not see slowing down in the near future.

Each of the four big remaining manufacturers, in my opinion, has something they are known for and is introducing new, improved and innovative products across the majority of market segments (road, mtb, ebikes, etc..). This requires R&D investment which is something most other manufacturers do not have the desire or capability or both to take on.

For the remaining high quality/premium brands, such as Cervelo, Pinarello, Felt, Bianchi, Colnago, BMC etc... I see them continuing with the few high end specialty retailers/ LBS’s that support racing and the high end clientel that have the desire and ability to afford a more custom/luxury experience. These retailers know what they are doing and are the quality LBS’s that we know and have appreciated for years, they will always have a place, in my opinion.

The majority of the remaining middle to lower tier brands (Fuji, Kestral, Raleigh, Marin among the many) are going to continue to feel the biggest hurt as I see the market evolving into a one which is polarized by the major manufacturers/premium brands on the high side and mass market retailer brands on the low end. Increasingly the majors will introduce new products in order to capture the middle to upper end of the middle market putting further pressure upon the brands in this segment of the market. The result will be a tremendous number of brands competing at the low end of the mass market. It will be very difficult for that many to survive. Perhaps we will see a super consolidator in this segment??

Finally, the declining bike sales numbers in the industry translates into even fewer opportunities for smaller/mid tier brands to prosper as the big guys will fight that much harder for the remaining sales. I think just like the auto industry there are just too many mfgs for all of them to survive.

Just my thoughts.