View Single Post
Old 06-24-19, 11:39 AM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Mentioned earlier by @canklecat = the 'relative level' is in group rides with guys 10-20 years my junior.

Performance gains are attainable without electronic gadgets, to imply otherwise is silly.

Gadgets and data are motivators for a huge percentage of roadies, go for it!
But for better accuracy best to have 2 measurement systems, then you can have 2 data sets to compare.

Be sure to have an iWatch to wear for data collection when not cycling.
Sure you make gains but can't quantify. Any amount of riding gets you fitness as a beginner cyclist. But when you hit a wall, to get over that wall you need to be able to see some numbers or quantify in some way. Best way is Power Meters / Data.
If Strava KOM hunting is the goal and measure, then sure! But with same exact effort and weight, I've taken 20-30 secs off my ~20min efforts simply cause of wind direction. i.e. my personal bests weren't indicators of fitness gains.
Not knowing how hard you're training is a huge handicap. Perceived efforts are extremely unreliable as we feel different day to day and depending how much we recover.

In short, anyone who's training seriously would be missing out and handicapping themselves greatly by not using data.

In any case I don't understand the notion of data being a hindrance to enjoying bike riding either. Even the hardest interval sessions have recovery periods, cool down and warm up. I get to enjoy even my hardest rides.
If anything more so knowing I've done the work and going back home with an easy pace is time to take nature in and enjoy the view.

To each his own.