Thread: Flying 200s
View Single Post
Old 07-28-17, 09:45 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. There's a weight lifting thread that would likely help you get moving with advice from guys that probably know much more than I do.

My pennies worth are that 2 things to concentrate on are:
- free weights (careful with form if never done them before, get advice if so)
- concentrate on explosiveness when lifting, so squats for example are down slow and explode up (within reason )

Originally Posted by sarals
I just want to see sub 14....

I did a sprint session at Hellyer last night. The night before was a gym night, using the leg machines for two sets each. Remember, I'm new to track sprinting? Anyway, when I started using the machines last month, I went in easy, using light weights or no weights at all, just the carriage weight. After the first session, I almost couldn't walk for three days. Night before last I started adding weight, not a lot, but enough to where ten reps was hard to do. So, I thought last night's session would be a bust, because my legs would be cement.

Hardly.

On the menu were 125M "accelerations", simulating match sprint jumps. The format was two laps, make the jump, then three trips around the cool down circle to recover, back to the track and repeat. My legs felt great! No timing on anything, but I saw higher max power (from a rolling start) than I've ever seen, and my cadence is sitting comfortably at close to 130 RPM. Yes, I'm in a spinny gear right now, 86 inches, but wow, have I come a ways.

And my legs LIKE the weight work outs.

Before I got sidetracked by the story, I wanted to say that I find myself spun up and at max speed at Hellyer as I hit the sprinters lane in a flying 200, and I don't do a huge windup. At VSC, I was spun out before I even came off the banking. I know a bigger gear will help, but I'm thinking a longer windup and slower off the banking is a technique that may work for me, too.

Noobs...yes, I am!