View Single Post
Old 07-18-18, 02:50 PM
CarrollB

Bikes: Trek Fx2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I never did like running. I started riding a bike about 9 years ago; I was 63 at the time. My doctor would like me to swim but next to that he said cycling is much easier on your joints. Never had any joint problems and don't intend to have any. I live in the mid-Atlantic area and tend to ride only during the warmer months. I use free weights and a bow flex 3-5 times a week for my core and upper body. In the winter months I try to use an elliptical, but am not as faithful using that as I am at riding my bike. Three years ago I hunted in the mountains of Idaho and I know that had I not been cycling I would have never made it walking up those mountains at 8k-9k feet. Last winter at the age of 71 I thought it was time to take up snow skiing so I could do it with my son and two teenage grand kids. Three weeks before the first time out I spent a lot of time working on lower leg exercises. I really enjoy skiing, bought my own equipment, and was skiing once a week. This new sport showed me I need to focus more on working out my legs, because now even doing something as simple as getting out of an easy chair or getting up from putting wood in the fireplace is much easier. I retired three years ago and by eating healthier, and the cycling, I've dropped 15 pounds and am at a weight I desire to maintain. I enjoy riding mostly paved trials 2-3 times a week during the week days when all the other slugs have to go to work.