View Single Post
Old 07-18-18, 05:57 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I was mostly a runner in the 80s. did about a 10k a month and longer races every now and then, including 3 marathons. One thing about running is you can race all you want without all the rigamarole of cycling or tri. But over time the running got harder on the body so had more frequent periods of not running due to injury. Never had an injury keep me off the bike. All I do running now is an annual race (Great Aloha Run), an 8.15 mi point-to-point race. It's just a nice atmosphere. I did it this year with zero training, just bike experience. A bit painful but finished in what has become my typical time -- around 1:30. I have the t-shirt from the first time the race was held - 1986 and wear it in the race. I get some nice comments and some "gee that was before I was born". Next year I'll be 65, so a new age group to look forward to.

At our age, running on a treadmill (good one at a gym) is much easier on the knees than on the road.

scott s.