View Single Post
Old 03-02-19, 10:28 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
HS!!. I have now seen the extreme video of No-bikepacking, bike packing.
Called: '142 Miles From Monday' by Outside TV.
These guys had a support vehicle carrying all their gear and when the vehicle was late one evening they were practically crying..
These are the people I was talking about.
Oh.. I dunno. Why say they almost cried about something when they didn't?

I watched the video (thanks for the suggestion btw) and thought it was good but it illustrates the difference between people arguing about definitions and people just doing something. The story there is really just about three guys having a little adventure and relating their philosophical thoughts - they didn't claim to be going on a trans continental tour or bikepack trip. And, to that end, they were completely successful and even made a good quality short that may inspire others to get off their duffs into the outdoors. Meanwhile some will argue endlessly about what their luggage means.

This divide we always try to create to bolster ourselves, touring, bikepacking, modern bike, classic, hipster, old man, wheel size, duration... it's all noise that in reality makes the user less likely to learn because they discount an alternative experience. There's a subtle but profound difference between championing ones preference for it's merits and putting down another to make it seem better.