Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
the best way to deal with summer temps is to not look at them and ride anyway. the moving part keeps you cool enough
"Put me back on my bike."*

Every year people get heat related illnesses, and some die from a lack of understanding about dehydration, sports physiology etc. High temps, especially above 100° calls for reduced exertion, proper hydration, (meaning not just sucking down a whole bunch of bottled water). Drink only "pure" water, and no food, your electrolytes go out of wack. And if that happens, and you're lucky- next stop ER.
Be smart about heat. I'm ok up to a heat index in the high 90s as long as I keep my jersey wet, and drink things with electrolytes.

Edit:

I just got off my bike. With plenty of fluids, and on a low intensity ride, I was almost home (luckily)when my body decided "enough." No sign of anything up to the 23 mile point of a 25 mile ride. I had drunk 3/4 my water bottle, and felt fine. I decided to ease up completely, and cool down. In the next flatish mile, my quads started really losing strength (more than hurting - shut up legs) and then my TRICEPS started cramping. That's a new one for me. Any farther from home, I would have stopped to rest. Rode 1/2 mile sitting up on an empty MUP, and finished the last bit on the road. I never experienced such a dramatic bonk before - no diziness, etc. and now feel good to go after a few minutes resting in 74° and some water.

Only 93° out... But factor in heat absorbtion/radiation of tarmac, heat discharge from vehicles blasting their AC and direct sun, well... It feels hot to me.

*If you don't know who said that and where, Google it.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-19-19 at 03:04 PM.