Old 09-13-19, 08:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, same in Texas where at least some school districts used to offer more bus service.

It's a combination of helicopter parenting and a mix of legitimate fears exaggerated by myths like the 1980s Satanic Panic.

My usual bike route passes some nearby suburban elementary and middle schools no matter which direction I go. I can see why parents drive their kids. Unlike the New York 'burbs where I misspent part of my youth, Texas never really considered walking as a viable form of transportation. Most of my neighborhood lacks sidewalks, so kids would be forced to cut through yards (risky in a gun-happy state) or walk in the streets.

As the '80s Missing Persons song goes, only a nobody walks in LA... or anywhere in Texas.

The only place we do bother to build sidewalks are where nobody needs or uses them -- mostly as decorative items near shopping centers. Those useless sidewalks and tree lined strips that would have served better if they'd been conceived and built as multi-use paths, without obstructed views caused by unnecessary trees planted like soldiers in a row.

And on my bike rides I do complete stops at the intersections around school zones. Sometimes I'm the only one who actually stops. The parents themselves tend to roll through and ignore school bus stop signs and lights. They're only concerned about their own little darlings, not anyone else's.
Likes For canklecat: