Old 07-04-20, 02:05 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
Looking at your rear derailleur pics, it appears that the inner cage may be mounted reversed...i.e. you have the top at the bottom and the bottom at the top. You said that you had it off and it's easy to reverse it, I did it once (he said sheepishly). When mine was reversed it definitely messed with the shifting.

It should look like this, the larger part is at the bottom.

No. I don't think it is. I admit I had a fun time trying to figure out the correct way to mount the inner cage but pretty sure this is correct. Again, since it's not the correct cage, it looks different, especially from the front side.

I also noticed the RD attachment mount on the frame may be bent slightly. My frame is a 126mm rear spacing and so it is pulled out to accommodate 130mm of current standards and I think at some point the mounting angle became compromised. Not sure of the best way to bend it back as these old steel frames are still plenty stiff.
As I continue to ride, the shifting is pretty good although not perfect. It sometimes shifts two gears with one click and sometimes doesn't shift at all. I've tried adjusting the cable tension and I suspect that is the key although it could also be the bent RD mount and the inner cage. When adjusting cable tension, how much adjustment is necessary to achieve a different result? I mean is it generally several turns or maybe just a half turn? I do notice the adjustments doing things but not sure if I'm going too far the other way as it never completely solves the problems.

Ha, and another Classically Vintage problem last ride: I decided to dig out my old Duegi shoes and Look pedals and watch my efficiency climb. First problem was the cleats were at some strange angle which just could not be tolerated. So back home I go for wrenches and when I try to get my feet out, wow, very strong hold which I don't remember. So after several times of twisting out of the pedals, boom, the retro Italian glue lets go!
Fun thing is that I kinda like these shoes now! I never liked them back in the day and only bought them on a Nashbar closeout deal but now I like the vintage look of them. Still, gives me another thing to search for on Ebay!

Of course, will try some good ole contact cement although not a fun thing if it tears loose again far away from home!

Last edited by tNuvolari; 07-04-20 at 02:08 PM.