View Single Post
Old 03-31-19, 03:12 PM
SummerG42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to everything...

Well, almost. I found this site a few years ago, when I first thought about getting a bike. I lurked. I read. I was encouraged. And I bought a bike. A custom built Worksman heavy duty bike. With everything reinforced, and all the upgrades. It was my 40th birthday present to myself, and I winced as I charged it. And then I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle before it got delivered. Then a bunch of other things happened, including having my face rebuilt (planned) which meant that maybe I should not get on a bike just yet. So, finally, yesterday, almost two years after I ordered the bike, I took it out, for the first time, and I rode it. For the first time. Wait... what I mean is... I RODE A BIKE FOR THE FIRST TIME. Any bike. at all. I learned to ride YESTERDAY. I taught myself (thanks youtube!) and I am still quite shaky at it, but I can honestly look back at 7 year old me and say "We did it. We finally got it."

So, when I bought the bike, I weighed about 350 pounds. That's why I spent the money I did on the Worksman. And it's beautiful. But oh, it's so heavy. I've since lost 100 pounds, thanks to significant diet and other forms of exercise. I now realize that I don't need quite as sturdy a bike as I own. So I'm thinking about selling it and replacing it with something a little less robust, now that I'm smaller, and still shrinking. Of course, I spent a huge amount of money on it, that I know I probably won't get back, but the idea that I can't really carry it in and out of my house easily is probably the bigger issue. I might just pass it on to my husband, who isn't bigger than I am, but could at least carry it around.

Until I make that decision... any tips for a very, very new rider? I'm anxious, nervous, and still above the average size of a cyclist. I am excited and glad to have a new form of transportation, as well as a new form of exercise. I live in a city, and look forward to being able to go out on my bike, though I am anxious about cars... traffic... lack of bike lanes... theft. This has all been a bit of a ramble, but hello! And thank you for the unknowing encouragement two years ago! I finally did it!
- Summer