kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
You probably could use 559 wheels/tires to get something a little fatter if desired. Brake pads would need to drop 6mm. High performing tire selection in 559 isn't great, but there are a few tires that may fit the bill. And you could probably get 28mm or 32 mm tires to fit. Recumbents require a little fatter tires than DFs, for equal conditions.
I have some nice 559 touring wheels with a 135mm rear OLD that might work. Do you happen to know if the 2009 Strada has 132.5mm rear spacing? I see that some of the other Bacchetta frames do, but I couldn't find the spec for my bike online, and the hub in there now is a 130mm. I can always just try to cram my wheel in there and see if it fits. Steel frame so I doubt I'll break it. The fork looks like it will fit a 26x1.25" tire, and there's plenty of room in the back. Rene Herse has the Elk Pass if I decide to spend almost as much on tires as the rest of the bike, which is definitely the kind of thing I would do. Otherwise looks like the 28mm Paselas are the biggest 650c tire available, which isn't a terrible option.

Originally Posted by Steamer
I would recommend either a brain box or perhaps some supplemental bags like these...
Any particular reason not to go with the rack? Just curious