View Single Post
Old 01-15-20, 06:10 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
New fatbiker - introduction

I am completely new to this fatbike thing. I do have a 29+ bike, but I doubt that counts. I was recently invited to a fatbike snow ride that was put on by a local mountain bike group in coordination with the local state park. A limited number of bikes were provided at no cost for those who needed them - super kudos to New York State for providing these 1 year old Kona Wo bikes. A local LBS brought a few more fatbikes due to the number of riders who needed a bike for the ride. I guess I don't need to tell you how awesome the cycling community is. The weather was unseasonable warm on this night and I ended up having loads of fun with some great people. This got me to thinking I may be able to turn this fatbike thing into a winter activity.

Anyway, now that you know this story, I have to say that I despise everything about winter. I become a hermit who doesn't leave the house unless I absolutely have to. I spend the winter Zwifting in my basement. Off to the computer I went searching for a reasonable deal on a used fatbike. That is when I found this slightly used Diamondback El Oso. It has some scuffs, a small dent on the downtube, and a bent derailleur hanger. Other than that, it shows no signs of having ever been ridden. I have already swapped the stock Juggernaut Sport tires for Vee Showshoe XL tires and I have plans of converting them to tubeless over the next couple of days. The new derailleur hanger will be here on Friday. Now, all I need is some snow. The weather has been very unseasonably warm since I ordered this bike and we have no snow at all. That is due to change over the next few days.

Yes, the reflectors are coming off and the dork disc will be gone as soon as the new derailleur hanger is here.
Likes For medic75: