Old 08-10-20, 07:55 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can't count the number of times I've had to stop in the middle of a climb so I can calculate the best gear ratio.

This is a pretty silly thread.
That's why you should bring a cheat sheet, or write some numbers on your hand like you did for a high school test. This way you just have to find the right numbers to choose the correct gear, Hopefully before you crash into the trees.

But seriously, with my triple chainring I just pick the one that I anticipate I might need soon if its important, Like climbing or for quick acceleration.

This works best if the cassette cogs are spaced correctly. For me, that's a 10- 13% increase with each up tick

My 1'st derailleur bike was a 10 speed racer with a 2 x 5 speed drivetrain. Because the 5 rear cogs were spaced widely apart, The engineer who designed the bike chose to use chainrings that would put a step between each rear cog. So while the single shift was a bit higher then ideal, If it bothered me, I could always find the next gear up or down. With just 2 chainring's it's easy to do.