Old 10-11-18, 10:28 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
wingless' VDO M7 GPS Bicycle Computer

A bicycle computer was required for my CA bicycle. I needed these features: "large" speed text; ambient temperature; altitude; odometer; trip logging and back lighting.

My selection was the VDO M7 GPS computer. This is a self-contained computer, that uses GPS for position / speed instead of a wheel sensor. It has a rechargeable battery that is charged w/ the included USB 1.0-2.0 Micro-B plug to Type-A plug cable. No AC to USB power cube is included. It is really nice to not need a wheel sensor.

My concern prior to purchase was the dearth of positive end-user information on this product. At the time of purchase there was only one review located, negative, on Amazon. I contacted VDO to inquire about my concerns. The German Sales Manager replied to assure me that the product performs as-described, so I proceeded forward with the purchase.

The VDO M7 GPS includes these parts:
VDO M7 GPS computer, model CP3047 - 41g mass
P/N 3016 Wireless Handlebar Bracket - 5g mass
Six Black Nylon Wire Ties - 1g mass, each
6" USB 1.0-2.0 Micro-B plug to Type-A plug cable
Six-Language Operating Instructions - Folded: 4-3/4" tall x 3-1/2" wide, Unfolded 32-1/2" tall x 26-1/2" wide

In my purchase, someone has taped a CR2032 3V lithium coin cell battery to the exterior of the retail packaging, causing confusion for me as I attempted to determine what to do with this part. I concluded that extra battery was not ever supposed to be included and moved on...

The P/N 3016 wireless handlebar bracket may be manually configured for either mounting the computer into the handlebar or onto the stem. There are four small thread forming screws that are removed w/ a small Phillips jeweler's screwdriver so the base may be repositioned 90 degrees. It is delivered w/ the parts in the handlebar orientation.

In my case, I was mounting this onto the stem, so I unscrewed, reoriented, then reassembled those parts. On my 2016 Trek Series 1.1, the stem slopes up from the headset to the handlebars, leaving the stem lower than those parts. The mounted computer must also be able to rotate for removal / installation to the bracket. I needed to build-up the height under the bracket by adding a adhesive Velcro hook/loop pad, in addition to the existing adhesive pad so the parts would fit properly, prior to securing w/ nylon wire ties.

If this VDO M7 GPS computer is going to be shared with multiple bicycles, then additional P/N 3016 wireless handlebar brackets may be purchased so the computer may be quickly moved on bike to bike, without requiring configuration changes. It doesn't care about wheel size.

The computer construction is very nice. The computer is 2.55" high x 1.75" wide x 0.59" thick. The glossy clear display has a glossy black perimeter frame w/ beveled top and bottom edges. The matt white top / black bottom perimeter has rounded corners. There are three metallic red push buttons on the bottom surface, w/ the center having a white "O" engraved legend. The case top and sides have contrasting color product identification text markings.

The backlit B&W LCD display has dedicated function locations on the top half and a full graphical dot array on the bottom half.

The top half always has these functions displayed at fixed locations: speed; mph or kph, depending upon configuration selection; ^ or v to indicate if current speed is higher or lower than average; GPS signal strength bar graph; battery "gas gauge" bar graph; lightbulb icon, when back lighting is active; numerical altitude display w/ either m or ft and "REC" icon that indicates recording is active.

The bottom half is used to manually select showing these BIKE function results: Trip Distance; Ride Time; Average Speed; Maximum Speed; Navigator Distance (separate / independent trip odometer); Ambient Temperature; Clock; Distance to Starting Point and Graphical Direction Arrow Pointing at Starting Point. The bottom half is also used to manually select showing these ALTI function results: Graphical Altitude / Distance Plot; Gradient Percentage; Altitude Up; Maximum Altitude; Average Climb Percentage; Maximum Climb Percentage; Altitude Down; Average Down Percentage and Maximum Down Percentage. There is excellent flexibility for selecting / specifying the starting altitude.

The clock, speed, distance to starting point and direction to starting point are determined from the satellite data. The temperature, altitude delta and battery "gas gauge" are from the on board device sensors.

Once the computer is turned on, the mph display flashes 0.0 while acquiring satellite data. When the speed display stops flashing the device is ready to use. I didn't time the minimum interval before the device was ready, but it was always ready before me.

The computer uses GPS to calculate, then display speed. Because of this measurement method there is the expected short time lag between when the velocity changes and when that new velocity is displayed. That effect is most apparent when coming to a dead stop and when starting again.

At power up the back lighting default is OFF. Press both outer buttons to toggle ON or OFF. That ON mode is rally a short-duration on time. Tapping any button refreshes that short on time cycle. IMO a better configuration would be: OFF; Short Duration ON and Continuous ON.

There is a flexible rubber flap on the rear to expose / cover / seal the rear-panel USB Micro-B receptacle. They have a water icon on the documentation to indicate water resistance, but I was unable to find the IP rating. It looks reasonably water / dust resistant to me.

They provide a link for a free download of their software to a computer, for yanking the stored trip data from within the M7 GPS, for usage in other applications, using the provided USB cable.

This device satisfies all my requirements, is well built and full featured. I don't have any reservations recommending this product.

This was purchased by me with cash from my pocket. I have zero agreement with the manufacturer or the vendor.