View Single Post
Old 05-13-19, 09:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson View Post
Not irrational. Washing does wear down textile fibers faster than not washing. But most of us want our kits to be cleaned every now and then, so we accept the normal wear and tear, and accept that all articles of clothing have finite lifespans.

I honestly believe that if you bought three identical kits that were subjected to identical rides, but washed one on the most aggressive cycle (it's called "cottons / heavies" on my machine), and put them in the dryer, you washed the second in the most delicate cycle (it's called "hand wash" on mine) and air dried them, and gently hand washed the third (literal hand wash), you'd see three distinctly different lifespans from those garments.
Ride damage (saddle wear) and wrecks have retired nearly all my kits. Kits that haven't gone down in a wreck, I still have and use when I want to look 'retro'. Two photos of the Toad to make a point:

This jersey is from the late 80's or early 90's - always washed in the machine:

photo credit Lisa (AKA wife)

This is the kinda racing I end up doing at least once a year. Years on the harshest wash-cycle is much gentler than a few hours of these conditions:

photo credit - https://markmanoutdoorphotography.com/
Likes For Hypno Toad: