View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 04:39 PM
kq2dc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I think you and I have had very similar experiences, and there's a really simple explanation for it. You're going 2-3 mph faster because you are working harder. When I went from several decades of hybrid riding to a road bike last year, I first found myself just naturally picking up the pace a bit and feeling much more tired after covering the same distance. I only increased at first by about 1 mph, but as I've relearned how to be more aero, that's increasing somewhat this year.

The only explanation I have for it is that I think the road bike posture just lets me use more of my leg muscle, and that actually is more energy out. My fitness level, which was already quite good on the hybrid, fairly rapidly increased, so now the road bike seems like the "normal" level of effort for me.
I sure hope that is the case. I'm looking to better my conditioning and lose a few more pounds. I want to be able to ride both mountain and road. I really enjoy them both and can ride the trails and paved paths right from my neighorhood.