View Single Post
Old 09-17-19, 03:16 PM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I use an iphone 6s and ridewithgps. I use a Quad Lock case and a Quad Lock handlebar mount. For longish rides, I connect the phone to an external battery. With that battery, I can leave the screen on all day, and my phone's battery will still be at 100% by the end of the day. I tried lots of different mounts, and none of them satisfied me before I got the Quad Lock stuff. I like it so much, I got mounts for my wife's cars, and I got her a case so she can mount her phone on her dashboard.
Yes to all of this. Four or five hours just GPS tracking no issues w/o a battery. If I want to use the screen, I either use a small battery (a small, cheap 10000mah anker battery) or connect to my dynamo hub. I've bought and returned four or five purpose-built GPS trackers. There's just no comparison between them and the iPhone apps (ridewithgps or cyclometer) in functionality, flexibility, or to that big, beautiful screen (I have an iPhone X). It is true that it can be hard to read, but this is a minority of the time.

With these approaches I've done multiple month-log bike tours. I've also had a couple crashes, but my quadlock not only protected the phone but didn't even disengage.

I want another gadget, because that's just who I am, but it's too painful to use any of them.