View Single Post
Old 03-18-15, 04:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Pertinent to cycling in Metro Boston, see today's Herald: Someone should stick Howie Carr's head in a bucket of cold water.

… And of course I could still run red lights whenever I feel like it.
To contnue this discussion started above, there certainly are many subscribers that agree more or less with Howie and his audience. For example from the thread cited above:

Originally Posted by Lanovran
Yeah...I know what the Idaho Stop is, and it's not the same as "always run the light and traffic signal." … I'm afraid I honestly don't know how it's supposed to make anything safer for anyone, though, when the result of running red lights and such is invariably to make a cylist less predictable to motorists (not to mention more infuriating).

The best things for safety on the road are a carefully chosen route, good visibility, and predictable riding behavior. In any case, however, to make a sweeping generalization to a newbie bike commuter that the safest thing to do is to "always run the light and traffic signal" is irresponsible at best, so I'm going to hope that it was merely a case of poor wording.

Meanwhile, what's up with all this morbid talk about "make it home alive" and "do anything to survive?" What kinds of hellish warzones are you people riding through to breed such fear and paranoia? How did a thread started to offer advice to a new commuter turn into a group rant about how cyclists are fragile little critters who must dart and dodge to avoid being trampled by blindly rampaging dinosaurs (a very poor analogy, by the way)? Whence came this bizarre "wisdom" going around which states that one should ignore both traffic laws and any instructors or experts one may encounter in favor of "trial-and-error?"

I mean, I fully realize and respect the fact that there will always be an element of risk inherent to cycling, but cripes...what an insufferably obstinate bunch of pessimists we have around here...

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Well said, and thanks for reading my post. At least I didn't receive the same reprimand as spare_wheel.

Originally Posted by Lanovran
I'm sorry, but I just have to say... That is, in my opinion, one of the single stupidest things I have ever read on BikeForums.
I fortunately ride away from the “hellish warzones” for which Boston is notorious, and traffic avoidance is a cornerstone of my commute. On the streets currently narrowed by massive snowbanks, I frequently pull into driveways to allow upcoming cars to pass.

Personally I suffered from the risk inherent to cycling when hit from behind while riding well-lit and far to the right myself on a wide, well-illuminated, low volume, low speed, residential suburban road…
BTW, spare_wheel’s “stupidest” comment was,

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
…IMO, the single most important rule when it comes to urban commuting is to get the @#$% away from motorists at intersections. If the coast is clear the safest thing to do is to always run the light or traffic signal….