View Single Post
Old 04-09-18, 01:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Somewhere out there I've seen plans for both R/C truck and lawnmower sized tractor pull sleds built mostly from bike parts. I'd be curious just how much some different types of bikes could do with a sled setup. The lawnmower size seems just about perfect for bikes, though finding the right amount of weight would need some trial and error.

Remember, though, that you need a way to get the sled back to the start line, so either a really strong winch or a way to declutch the weight transfer mechanism and have it slide back onto the wheels for easier towing.
I was thinking of pulling up a hill in the middle of a city park.

I said "Tractor Pull", loosely applying the term. But, also realizing some issues that I've had pulling loads up hills, and specifically up my own driveway.

At some point, one reaches a point with multiple competing issues:
  • Aerobic/Anaerobic threshold.
  • Minimum speed for stability (and thus a trike)
  • Potentially moving slower than walking speed (and thus carrying more than one could carry walking without gear reduction).
  • Traction
  • And, I suppose parts durability. For example, how much torque can pawls take? Chain?
Returning to the start would simply be coasting downhill. However, good brakes would be required, and perhaps trailer brakes for loads > 200 lbs. And, for safety, I'd avoid timed racing on the descent.

Some kind of a dirt competition would be interesting, but not necessarily applicable to ordinary cycling.