View Single Post
Old 06-17-20, 02:30 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Too broad of a question. If you want to go period correct, model original correct, the hardest 3 steps, IMO, are: finding the components/parts that are needed, paying for the items plus shipping, and the patience to get through the first two. If you do not have mechanic skills/knowledge, or the proper tools, it is going to be very challenging. If you already have those things, you probably would not have posted the question to begin with.

I rebuilt a late 80's Ochsner road bike in spring of 2019. I have owned the bike since buying it brand new in 1992. I had never done this before and did not have tools or the skills at the start. I purchased a basic tool kit that covered a lot of the maintenance/fixes for bikes, and added to them as the need came up. Videos on Youtube and Park Tools web sites are a huge help. Generous, helpful members of BikeForums were also a huge help, sometimes just with suggestions or words of encouragement, finding or identifying a tool or part that was needed, and the how-to info on the working of repair and replacement.

I was not looking to restore the bike to original, or to be period correct. Ergo, I have a bike that is a combination of original, used that I had on hand, and purchased new/used stuff. I was doing the rebuild to mostly to challenge myself/ I spent more money than I intended to, including powder coating, but I really like the way the bike came out. It is again one of my faves to ride. I had a good amount of frustration, some "AHA" moments, and a lot of self satisfaction. I have learned a lot and have now rebuilt a few bikes. I now do all the work on my bikes.

I say go for it.

Last edited by delbiker1; 06-17-20 at 02:31 PM. Reason: text correction
Likes For delbiker1: