View Single Post
Old 07-28-20, 02:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I might be misinterpreting his post, but I took it as Phil did NOT choose the right parents. At least what I've read of Phil's book he claims many times to NOT have had a good feeling about having the right parents. And he pushed for his dream anyway. He called it something like "real talent".

Again, from the book. I don't live in you guy's world.

As far as "real talent", it is relatable. I grew up playing golf with kids who spent their childhoods on the course and couldn't shoot par to save their lives (or save their quarters and dollars). "Real talent" in golf is the hand-eye-body coordination equivalent I guess of in endurance sport "having the right parents". Lessons and buckets of balls and hours at the course can help a lot. But if you know what you're doing, you can just look at somebody swing and know which person has a totally manufactured swing.........and the ones who use the resources to hone their "real talent". It's almost like seeing "natural beauty" versus a bunch of makeup and clothes.
Everyone wants to say they're not born with a genetic silver spoon, and I do think some are confused with having the right mindset. Positivity alone can get you far in many pursuits. In cycling, I don't think you have to be as genetically gifted as other sports, but you do have to have some natural ability.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I have to agree with Ken. Hard work is very important. But it can only take you so far if you do not have the proper genetics. Alternatively, just having the proper genetics won't guarantee you success without also putting in the hard work.

For example, we all know that Barry Bonds used PEDs to increase his size and strength. But, studies also show that his eyes and brain see and process information faster than average, which allows him to respond to a 95 mph fastball, swing the bat and make a hit. Without that key advantage, it's doubtful he would have been as successful as he was, even with hardwork and PEDs. (As a reminder, his father was a pro baseball player too.)
Barry Bonds got a bad rap. I mean, yes he was a doper (though technically no since HGH and 'the cream' were technically not PEDs or banned) but he wasn't the only one and he was a late adopter of the trend which started in the late 80's. He just got fed up with the rest of league surpassing him and the FO letting it slide. Sorry totally tangential, I'm a huge Bonds homer, he was probably the best athlete to ever swing a bat.