Old 08-01-20, 07:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Did you ever consider you might be called an old fogey for advocating touring with a GPS?
Yeah, the photo is from 9.5 years ago. GPS with a black and white screen, how quaint.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't recall how long ago it was that I carried and used one on a tour and am not sure where mine even is, but... It was really nice to be able to use rechargeable AA or AAA batteries and throw in some alkaline ones in a pinch.
Was yours about the same vintage as mine?

I prefer those old black and white screen models for kayaking and canoeing, screen stays on and I would have to take my hand off a paddle to push a button on it to wake up the screen if I had one of my color display ones. Has a long battery life and the black and white screens are quite readable in all light conditions. I used that same GPS on the day I paddled for several hours through the heavy fog on Lake Superior three years ago.