View Single Post
Old 08-01-20, 08:04 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I have rim brakes on my lightweight bike, prefer the aesthetics and weight advantage that they currently have. On my aero bike, it is disc. I find the disc option more fiddly in terms of keeping it from rubbing - I encountered this first with my MTB - but there is just no denying that disc is ultimately superior at the job of stopping the bike.

In my case, I put Zipp carbon wheels on my light bike and that makes it worse for rim - not a bike I'd ride anymore in anything approaching damp weather. Disc doesn't have that issue, of course. But even rim married to good alu wheels can't quite match disc in the dry, albeit it is closer than some think - disc only really shows a significant advantage in wet conditions.

I guess it also depends upon how fast you ride, heavy you are and therefore how much stopping power you need in any given situation.
Have you tried other discs on your wheels by chance? My “wheel smart” buddy told me that discs with a sturdier spider (holds the disc) will do better on warping. He also showed me how putting a light under the brake and then looking down through the brakes makes it easier to spot where the disc was rubbing.