View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 04:59 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
You didn't have through axles 20 years ago. Through axles were developed to fix problems disc brakes had like front wheel ejection and caliper alignment.
The motivation for disc brakes had more to do with mtb frames and suspension than better stopping.
When they came out, hydraulic brakes had problems that were resolved by design refinement.
The fact that you understand all the adjustments and fine points of disc brakes doesn't mean they're intuitive for people looking to make a decision.

I think discs are clearly superior to rim brakes for some applications - especially CX and MTB; and they will continue to become more popular on road bikes, but a reasonable road bike rider may evaluate the pro's and con's for his specific conditions and make a reasonable decision to buy a new road bike with rim brakes.
You "may" be right... I don't really know what through axels are... But, My bike actually seems to have both... I "think". .. I could, actually put rim brakes on my bike too... if I really wanted, I think...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-11-20 at 05:10 PM.