View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 11:46 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
I stand solidly on the side of disc brakes.

About four years ago I went from a MTB commuter conversion (v-brakes) to a hydraulic disc commuter. The difference in modulation, in the full range from a light feather to full-stop, was remarkable. When switching back to the MTB, the first few stops were a shocker because there was a notable lag before the brakes would start to function. I simply felt I had better control over braking. The actual reason I chose disc brakes - to avoid snow and ice clogging the brakes in the winter - turned out to be the secondary improvement. Now that I live in the PNW, it's less snow and ice than a half-year of rain. Not having to wait for a wheel revolution before the brakes grab in the wet is an improvement. It's wet here a lot, and my commute has a long descent with stops. I like the better control.

I just finished building my newest road bike, with cable actuated hydraulic discs. No doubt, the new bike is better for a lot of reasons, but brake performance is up there. The old road bike goes up for sale next week. Again, I ride in the rain, year round, frequently in the foothills and occasionally long and/or steep descents. Braking control matters to me, a lot.

The last rim brake holdout is my brevet bike, a recumbent. It has dual pivot road calipers; braking is decent but can't hold a candle to disc brakes for immediacy and controlability. Being a recumbent it's rather fast on descents. On this bike I've done a lot of descending, in the dark, in the rain, on unfamiliar roads. Taken some silly risks I suppose. Obviously I'm here so braking was adequate. I'd like better than adequate. If I ever update to a newer 'bent, it will definitely have disc brakes.