GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Of course this all depends on how much we have to spend. For those that have been blessed with some extra cash, Like an old friend who sold a very successful auto repair business and retired, His $7,000 road bike might be the best value. For a student who needs a reliable bike to get to the campus, Perhaps a simple Walmart hybrid with rim brakes and no suspension forks (the cheap ones bad IMO) would be fine, Or a used bike in good shape locally.
My son worked through high school at the LBS and took a bike that someone left to college for transportation. It was a 2x5 and had downtube shifters and a vinyl seat. He rode it from his off campus housing to classes and it was kept outside.It lasted the entire 4 years and it was hard to get rid of it after since he had 3 other bikes (Madone, Trek Xcal and Cervelo P2) and needed to thin the heard.

When he got his masters, 1 semester early, and was off the family payroll, I bought my Emonda as a present to myself.

It's all about where you are in life and your disposable income.I never would of spent that much for a bike if i was still supporting my kids.
Likes For GlennR: