burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Reverse that. Steady on the flat, a little easier uphill (not hammering it), a little harder downhill. That's how you keep it steady. If you're on the front you should never, ever be coasting. You should be doing threshold plus on every downhill that isn't having you spin out, because everyone behind you will be coasting/soft-pedaling.

This was the number one reason I stopped riding with most groups. Too slow when they need to go fast, too fast when they need to go steady. Too slow over the top of hills, too slow down the hills, too slow on the fast bits, too slow after intersections, and then attack the hills! Plus too many stops.
While the finding a different group part might be true, it doesn't make the question invalid. There'll always be someone somewhere doing it, I just wanted to know why before ever saying something in person to someone who may very well be in the right.

But, this post, I totally agree with and can see why you said what you did now.

I think deep down a lot of people are wheelsuckers and sandbaggers more than they'd ever admit. I think a lot of people save more on their turn up front than they should hoping to spend it later. Not actually taking on a bit of hurt on the front.

With this question, what about if you ARE doing what you're supposed to. You hammer down the hill for the group and should probably pull off so their momentum carries them up. But, now you've got Mr/Mrs I hate hills coming around in a supertuck in a spot that the front folks would peel off to let the group momentum carry up the start of the hill.

I asked a local P/1/2 guy this exact question and his response was that you better be hammering down the hill for the group then peel off right at the bottom or barely after the bottom so the group's speed behind you can carry up as you re-attach on the back as they go by.

So, if that's true. It would be a pretty bad move to be trying to pass everyone to ready for the hill if the front people are peeling off to set the group up for success. They'd be pulling off right as the "run-up" person is flying around.
Likes For burnthesheep: