Old 07-06-19, 11:52 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The impression I get is the slower folks filter up front hoping the rest of us will take the hint and slow down to keep the group together. A few of my friends who enjoy riding a lot do not enjoy riding alone. They prefer groups for perceived safety, to build confidence in riding with other people, and for the socializing.
In general, I'm on board with the concept. When I take beginners out, I ride behind so they can set a comfortable pace. I also ride left and back behind them to push the traffic off and help manage how those interactions work. But that's way different than having those with the worst judgment, awareness, and skills unilaterally try to control riders they don't even know.

Beginners feel more comfortable with other beginners, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea. The last thing you'd do with a newbie driver is put them in a swarm of other newbie drivers. Matter of fact, even (or maybe especially) an experienced driver would avoid that mess like the plague. Operating a bicycle safely requires more awareness and finely tuned motor skills than a car, so the principle applies even more.